Thank you for your interest in the Internship program of Elmbrook Church! We count it a privilege that you desire to be a part of what God is doing through Elmbrook in Milwaukee and beyond. We are excited about where God has taken us, but we are even more excited about where he is bringing us. We are confident that “he who began a good work…will carry it on to completion.” (Phil. 1:6)
While giving broad-based training and experiences, internships at Elmbrook Church operate within student ministries, children/family, adult discipleship and mission/serve.
We want to help young leaders in the development of their calling, character, and competency by expanding the kingdom ministry of Elmbrook Church.
As a staff at Elmbrook Church we operate with these values towards internship.
- We believe that development has to be intentional. Our development as people and as leaders must involve a focused and purposeful approach, not haphazard busyness.
- We believe that we need to develop leaders, not use leaders. Too often, internship programs are used as a breeding ground for grunt labor. We recognize this tendency and want to insure we are pouring into our interns’ lives.
- We believe that development takes place within the context of ministry. Development of leaders must involve practical application to and work within an active ministry context for it to be useful.
- We believe that development takes place within the context of relationship. Development of leaders always involves a series of key relationships including peers, ministry leaders, and outside mentors.
- We believe that emerging leaders need proximity to leaders. Oftentimes the most significant thing we can do as developing leaders is to simply be around other more mature leaders to learn by observation and through relationship.
- We believe that development must be holistic. Development must address a range of issues including personal, theological, ministry skills, and missional development with the aim of developing the whole person.
- We believe that development must be broad-based but individually focused. It is obvious that no programmatic plan will absolutely develop every person engaged in that plan.
- There must be individually tailored elements alongside the broad-based plan. We believe that Elmbrook Church needs the presence and input of emerging leaders to be dynamic and vital in ministry. Just as we hope to pour into your lives as interns, we recognize that you will dynamically shape us as a church for the good of our life and mission.
The internship program is a year-long, intensive leadership development program designed to both equip leaders in ministry and to further the ministry of Elmbrook Church. It includes practical development of ministry skills, leadership opportunities in specific ministry areas, personal development, interaction with the greater Elmbrook staff, ministry exposure outside of specific ministries, and theological development.
The internship typically begins in August and runs a full year. The internship program involves personal leadership assessment, ministry experience in specific ministries, seminars and classes, peer clusters, mentoring and a church-wide project.
Those interested in the internship program should have a growing relationship with Christ, passion for the emerging generation, a learner’s mentality and a desire to be a team player . He or she must be a self-starter who takes initiative, be willing to take risks in life and ministry, have a sense of the gifts and abilities God has given them, and have a minimum of an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Some leadership experience in ministry, either at a staff level or as a volunteer, is desired, and a sense of calling in ministry is essential.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
While the specific job description will be determined based on the needs of the ministry and the experience, gifts, abilities and passions of the intern, here are some general responsibilities that an intern can expect:
- Assist the pastor in shaping the vision of the ministry as a member of the leadership team. This includes weekly leadership team meetings.
- Oversee at least 1 major area of the ministry (ex: small groups, worship, etc.) and mentor leaders in that area.
- Develop and launch new initiatives alongside the pastor in this area.
- Actively participate in the leadership development pathway through reading, classes, and experiences.
- Lead or participate in a small group.
- Mentor at least 3-4 people in ministry and personal development.
- Participate in the weekly Elmbrook staff meetings and additional studies.
- Help with the general administrative needs of the ministry.
- Engage in outside ministry activities like hospital visitation, speaking opportunities, etc.
While giving broad-based training and experiences, internships at Elmbrook Church operate within the following ongoing ministries. Please contact the following staff personnel for information on specific ministry positions available:
Adult Discipleship: Contact Sylvia firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Ministries: Contact Brandon email@example.com
Children & Family Ministry: Contact Brodie firstname.lastname@example.org
Mission/Serve: no internships currently available
Worship: no internships currently available
Typically Elmbrook Church does provide some compensation, and often interns have the option of living with a host family.
For those interested in taking seminary courses during the internship, Elmbrook serves as an extension site of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. There are regular night class options that we can work around the intern’s ministry responsibilities.
apply for an internship
If you are interested in applying for an internship, please fill out the Application Form and Reference Form below. Both forms can be sent to to:
Sylvia Jeronimo, Director of Leadership Development
Elmbrook Church Attn. Sylvia Jeronimo
777 S Barker Rd
Brookfield, WI 53045
If you have questions or would like to talk about internship details, feel free to contact Sylvia Jeronimo, Director of Leadership Development, via email or by calling 262.786.7051 x712.