Our disaster response ministry began in 2005 in response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Since then, over 85 teams have traveled throughout the United States in response to disasters that have hit communities. Working in partnership with Samaritan’s Purse and under their invitation, these are often short-term trips of a week or less. The work is hard, but those that do go often come back with a passion to serve again, often with team members they have just met.
We send out two types of disaster response teams, “Immediate” and “Rebuild” teams, both generally serving for one week. The cost is covered by the individual (average cost $125 per person), and training is provided for these trips.
- Immediate – These teams typically mobilize within 48 hours of a disaster and are often on the ground at the site within 72 hours. For more information about immediate trips, contact Mary Ann Lee via email or at 262.796.5758.
- Rebuild – These teams usually return to a disaster site within 6 months of the disaster to help rebuild cities and lives. For more information about rebuild trips, contact Pam Knoll via email or at 414.412.0415.
SERVING NEEDS INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Cleaning out disaster damaged areas
- Home rebuilding
- Yard work
- Praying with or comforting victims
2013 REBUILD TEAMS
Three (3) disaster response rebuild teams are scheduled for Tom’s River, New Jersey
- Sept. 28-Oct. 6, 2013; Oct. 5-13, 2013; Oct. 12-20, 2013
- We will leave on Saturdays and return on the following Sundays. Work week is Monday through Friday.
- Per person cost $250. We travel in personal cars on teams of 10 people.
If you are interested in receiving information about these teams, sign up for the “Disaster Relief” email list at www.elmbrook.org/email.